We’re talking about Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn! Christina Brown joins me to dig into this fast-paced, femme comic book movie.
About Birds of Prey
Harley Quinn is having a rough time after her breakup with the Joker. Thrown out into the mean streets of Gotham City, she reinvents herself and gets thrown together with three other female vigilantes. The task: Save a young pickpocket who has a price on her head.
The movie was released on February 7th, 2020 and directed by Cathy Yan.
It stars Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, along with Marie Elizabeth Winstead (Huntress), Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Black Canary), Rosie Perez (Renee Montoya), and Ella Jay Basco (Cassandra Cain).
Ewan McGregor plays the villain, Roman Sionis/Black Mask, with Chris Messina as his henchman, Victor Zsasz
Listen to the Episode
A few things we discuss:
- The incredible costume design, especially for Harley;
- Comic book movies more broadly (we have some notes);
- Confusion around why people don’t just move out of Gotham city!
- Misogyny (it’s the villain);
- Violence (there’s a lot of it)
This episode is a special cross over with The Bi Pod, a podcast about all things bisexual. Christina & I co-host The Bi Pod (TBP), and if you like this episode we think you might enjoy TBP too! You can find the show at thebipod.com.
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Birds of Prey Soundtrack
- Suicide Squad (the movie which introduced Margot Robbie’s Harley to the screen)
- Batman: Under the Red Hood (the movie I reference featuring Black Mask with a black skull head)
For Fans of Birds of Prey
- Bikini Kill
- Harley Quinn TV Series
- Rainbow Rowell’s Runaways
- Miss Marvel
This podcast is produced by Chelsee Bergen. The theme music is ‘I Dunno’ by grapes.